Just Labradors banner

Regarding an earlier thread titled "Help me- I hate my lab!"

34K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  lovemylabby 
#1 ·
The thread titled "Help me- I hate my lab!" is over a decade old, but I just discovered it and found it very eye-opening, so I will revive the subject here in hopes of getting advice from people more experienced with Labradors than I am.

I've studied and worked with dogs for over a decade. What I know about labs and destructiveness is that they will only be destructive if they're insufficiently exercised. Did the lab owner in the thread "Help me- I hate my lab!" sufficiently exercise her dog each day? I don't know. Was her lab an English lab or an American lab? I don't know. What I do know is that American labs are much more energetic and harder to wear out than English labs are.

Once the poor woman was close to delivering her baby and in the weeks following delivery, she needed her husband or another family member to help her out by taking over responsibility of exercising her Labrador each day. I get the feeling that she lacked that crucial support.

Here's an opinion poll for Labrador owners: Have any of your young Labradors ever counter surfed, dumpster dived, chewed or destroyed household items despite taking them for a couple walks and a couple games of fetch each day? Also, which version of the lab have you known to be more destructive if not worn out- English or American?

Thanks for your feedback!

See less See more
#2 ·
"Have any of your young Labradors ever counter surfed, dumpster dived, chewed or destroyed household items despite taking them for a couple walks and a couple games of fetch each day? "

Yup. Ours got lots of exercise because I am retired so he was with me all day, everyday. Whenever he wanted to play, we played until he was tired of playing. My theory is that they do what you mentioned because they are curious about everything. Ever notice how curious they are about YOU? Our guy is almost 8 now, he still studies us carefully. We never formally trained ours. All we would do is say "uh unh.." and he would let it go and interestingly, never repeat the act again. Ours loves to please people.

I do not have any experience with English labs, so cannot comment on that aspect. But I will make this observation: I have often heard someone say "Chocolate labs are . . .blah, blah, blah". "Yellow labs are. . .blah, blah, blah." Hogwash. These dogs are individuals, they each have their own unique personalities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.