Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 yo Boxer Rescue Aggressive Play w.Humans

16K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Boxermom12 
#1 ·
Hello, we adopted a 1yo fixed male boxer pup. He’s been at the house for nearly 2 weeks now. He’s very vocal, and it doesn’t seem that he received any training in his previous living situation for managing his excitement and emotions. He gets along well with dogs, we also have a 5yo female boxer. When he’s playing, things tend to get intense, and he will start biting/nipping me (or my husband) on my hands, arms and ankles, pulling on the sleeves, and constantly jump on/at us while growling and barking. He no longer has the jaws or the muscles of a 3-month old puppy, so it can be painful and upsetting. It doesn’t seem to be coming from aggression, but intense playing. On the other hand, when he’s enjoying some downtime, he's the cuddliest dog. The previous foster family that took care of him confirmed that there is some definite separation anxiety, which we have seen whenever we leave the room. I’m not sure what to do to break the cycle of the aggressive playing, as this is the first time this has happened to us with a dog. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you 🙏

#2 ·
So this sounds very similar to my boy when he was a pup. He was definitely under a year, but still had some of the same issues, and didn't really have an off switch. So the link i'm going to post is what I did, and being my skeptical self, cause Ive never heard of it, or had a pup with this type of over the top energy and play drive, I really didn't think it would work. lol. Imagine my surprise when within a week his behavior in the house did a 180. I don't know if this will work for you, but I hope it does. You just have to follow exactly the way it is written.

The Sit on the Dog Exercise – Canine Life Skills

#3 · (Edited)
Well first "Welcome Aboard," and sorry you are having "issues?" But what you describe is not "unexpected for an "untrained dog ... regardless of "Breed." Pretty much everything you describe is. "Par For The Course," for a "Dog that has "No rules limits or Limitations!" "Regardless of Breed."

And it sounds like your "kinda sorta "Blaming the Foster," because it "most certainly sounds like ... they did not that much??" But take a step back. The "primary goal of a Foster Parent," is to keep the Dog Safe! "Food, Water and Shelter, is the are the only "requirements of a "Foster Parent." Anything "beyond that ie, "Training Depends on the Individual?"

The only "requirement to be a "Foster Parent," is that you will keep the dog "Safe," nothing more than that. I can "guarantee, you" that had someone such as myself, "Fostered," this dog ... "You would not see this "issues?" On the other hand ... "Had someone like me "Fostered, this dog? You would not have him ... "Because "Foster Parents like ME?" Won't give them up! We have "Rights' of first refusal!" If we want to keep the dog ... "they are our's!"

Now that is "Great For That Dog." But it does not serve the "Greater Good?" If you are a "Foster." you "can't keep them all! If you actually spend the time and effort to "properly train, a dog to become a "Civil Pet," it is a lot of "One on One," time with you and that dog and you "Grow Attached." And it becomes really, really hard to let them go!

Now some "Foster Parent's (the good one's) " can let them go! I did it myself with one dog ... I did it ,"Once because of my wife and my "Word!" A Breed, I had not much use for a "Sheltie," so yeah fine I will take her, keep her safe and find her a "New Home," (I thought at the time) I did not care if she moved on to a new home? Aw well, I did just that, kept my word! And she turned out great! She got adopted and "We," were devastated! I was not expecting that??

And it broke me and my wife's heart to let her go! Well I felt letting go was an aberration ... that time? But the next "Foster," would be different? Uh yeah "No," it was not! And he was so bad ... that I could not pass him on, in "good conscience?" A "Working Line GSD," that "Would was gonna hurt someone," if I passed him on! Now it worked out great for "us," in the long run. But I was the "Foster," and I knew that had I let him go ... he was going to "Hurt someone!" And well, he did send me to the "ER," for stitches in my hand ... so yeah. People Issues, and Pack Issues! Not a dog that could just be passed on to anyone! Worked out well in the long run, he saved my A$$ unbid?? But another story.

Now Matt already told you one of the things you "need," to do. But there is more, you need to "also train "The Place Command," and "I will say most importantly, you need to be able to "Walk Him!!

And I would guess ... you can't??? If the dog is "pulling on the leash and dragging, you down the street? Then you can't walk him? "Sit on the Dog and "The Place Command," are also "Part of "Fixing Separation Anxiety,"and those actually can fix your other "issues," without actually addressing them, directly? But to make any of that those work ... you have to be able to "Walk Your Dog!" And that is it! I also do the other thing's and they are "very important!" But the "Main thing I can do, with "any dog (So far)?" Is "Walk them! A dog does not need "you," to run, but they do need you, to "Walk on a leash!"

And my favorite "Trainer and What I "stumbled on by accident is here." My Dog "WL GSD," was an A-Hole ... fine then, I will put a leash on him and just "Walk!"

And I "discover the secret of walking your dog, by accident?? I knew it worked but it was "year's before I saw "this," and better understood what I had already done.

And well to late now ... but had you came here uh, two weeks earlier? I would have added this link.

Now that is what people that know what they are doing do?? Now that is what I would advise but ... "Aww well, that is "Not What I did! And I di "deviations," with the "Walking also?" And my current "Boxer/Pit," well yeah she "can," walk well on leash and (under very specific conditions ... she runs "off leash all the time!") And per my other dog's "Off Leash," was important to me! But yeah she is a good dog for the most part ... but not as good as my other dog's! But yeah by "average pet dog standards," ... there is nothing to complain about. :)

#4 ·
I think since you have only had him two weeks you just need to be a bit more patient with him he has to learn the house routine yet. Was wondering how much exercise he is getting? There is the dog time outside running and playing and then there is the mental kind like leash walking one on one where he can get to know you and take direction from you on the leash. Males are much slower to mature out than females and he will not even begin to settle down till he’s two at least, patience is key here because you will be rewarded with a great dog. As far as the biting at hands stop all attention when he does this as that’s the reason he’s doing it he’s getting a reaction.

#5 ·
Thanks so much for the response! We have an acre of land where he and our female boxer gallop around. With the hand biting, I do walk away, that’s when the jumping, barking, growling and ankle-biting starts. We have walked him on leash a few times, and he is very well behaved! 🙌 We have adopted and fostered before, so I am sensitive to the fact that he definitely needs time, I was just surprised at how intense he is. We have never experienced this before. We have very vague information about his previous life before foster care/adoption, but we do know that he was smacked around quite a bit unfortunately, so I can see why this maybe his only form of reaction as he wasn’t educated properly in his younger months. He’s a sweet pup and I have faith that he will learn with time, and I appreciate everyone’s advice! Thanks

#7 ·
Thanks so much for the response! We have an acre of land where he and our female boxer gallop around. With the hand biting, I do walk away, that’s when the jumping, barking, growling and ankle-biting starts. We have walked him on leash a few times, and he is very well behaved! 🙌 We have adopted and fostered before, so I am sensitive to the fact that he definitely needs time, I was just surprised at how intense he is. We have never experienced this before. We have very vague information about his previous life before foster care/adoption, but we do know that he was smacked around quite a bit unfortunately, so I can see why this maybe his only form of reaction as he wasn’t educated properly in his younger months. He’s a sweet pup and I have faith that he will learn with time, and I appreciate everyone’s advice! Thanks
Sounds exactly the way my boy was. He was my first pup to take the command "No" as a challenge.:confused: If you ignored him, he came on stronger. If you faced him head on, he took it as a challenge and it was on. lol. All the types of training i did with my other dogs didn't work. I'm kind of glad he was the way he was, cause I learned to expand what I did with training compared to my other dogs. Was probably the most difficult dog I ever trained, but once it all came together, he has been amazing. I'll always say, don't fall into a pattern of training, every dog is different, and require different ways of training.

#8 ·
Well the Acre lot is most certainty an "Asset!" But if you have a dog with, "issues" it is not "necessarily an advantage? If the dog never leaves the "property." Uh within reason, if the "Dog," never leaves the "Property," they are still "Backyard, Dog's." I doubt a "Lack of exercise," is one of his "issues?"

Exercise is "important," but it does not "cure all?" We had a member on GSD Forum, that finally "proved," that point. He was a "Marathon Runner," and he ran with his dog ... 12 miles a day or so., several days, a week or so? Not my thing so I don't know? But the point is that after a few week's ... "What he discovered is he had turned his, "GSD into a Super Conditioned Athlete! After a run and a short nap, when they got back. His dog was ready to go for hours on end. Pretty much all night and day long!

Now as to why that happened? It's "Simple," the whole point of "Exercise," is to condition the "Body's ability to work!" And at the end of that "Fail," he said he/realized that all he had done was turned his Dog, into a "Super Conditioned Athlete!" Now that is most likely "Great for a Working Dog," that lives his "Off Duty Hours," in a "Crate?" But for a "Family Pet (Duty Also ... not so much?)

And in the Real World, what good is a "Guard Dog," (An All Boxer thing) or a Personal Protection Dog, (A some Boxer thing) that lives it's life in a Crate?

And just to this topic, a "Dog Does Not Need, You To Exercise?" But they do need you to "Go on a Structured Walk!" IE no pulling or general nuttiness? The walk is where you address "issues?" That you would not "see," if you just open the door and say "OK."

Oh and another bit of "info." And it will be most likely a "serious issue for your girl!" For awhile ... it will have to be, one on one walking ... just you and him! And most likely she will strenuously object! But you have to do it!

And the "Biting thing," sigh "Par for the course for a dog that was not "taught to get over that crap before six months?" But that can be fixed? Now you can try sigh, treat's, ignoring him or squealing like a pig?? No real training that can "Fix that," would recommend any of that crap? But perhaps he already has the "Fix" and your not using it? Does he know "Down?" Another "topic." :)

#9 ·
Our male boxer was like this too! It was super frustrating because he was so big and didn’t realize his power. When he wasn’t overstimulated, he was the sweetest dog and loved to cuddle. We spent thousands of dollars and many months training. A behaviorist believed he didn’t have an off switch and suggested we try Prozac. Within 6-8 weeks, he was able to control his impulse to mouth and we haven’t seen the behavior since (it’s been just about two years). :)

#10 ·
Our male boxer was like this too! It was super frustrating because he was so big and didn’t realize his power.
How old was he when you got him?

Cuz, thousands of dollars and month's with no results? And "some, Behaviorist," solution was to "Drug him up??" "Color me not impressed."

An "Off Switch," needs to be "trained!" And hiring, "trainers most likely," (The gentle paws only crowd, which is code for (Positive Only/Cookies and treats) which is code for ( "I don't work with dog's that "may bite?" )
But that is not a "Dog," I would trust to have my back, if crap goes down ... just saying.

#11 ·
Drugs should never be used as a training aide. These dogs are high energy dogs and need special training skills which include proper daily excersise consistency and for an owner who knows how to be the one in charge. This is why Boxers are not the dogs for everyone. Treat trainers have no idea how to deal with these dogs because if you take their treats away they dont know what to do, not that many Boxers give two craps about treats. Electric collars also should never be used again the hall mark of someone who doesn’t know how to train a dog. I have trained two German Shepherds one for Search and Rescue and one for protection and tracking and 6 Boxers since every one of my dogs has turned out excellent and all if the dogs have had different levels of energy and learning ability you just have to take the time to know your dog what makes them tick, and the most undervalued thing is activity and excersise. One thing to keep in mind about using drugs on dogs is sometimes the cumulative effect of drugs is the opposite of what you want and can lead to aggression. Most Boxers settle down by the time of 2 years males can take up to 3. Unfortunately I see posts too often if people getting a Boxer and expecting to get a couch potato and end up with too much dog., always the dog suffers in these cases gets rehomed or relagated to the back yard. If people aren’t willing to put in the time and work please dont get one of these fantastic dogs

#12 · (Edited)
Aww well, i want to say, first I did, not mean to pound on Daisy2theMaxx? If I did? But what they went thur ... I had already heard about ... thousands of times!

People paying a small fortune to hire a "Trainer/Behaviourist to fix there dog ... and it is "Money Down the toilet??" It's been more that 15, years now but I remember where I came from! And I had my first Working Line GSD ... neither did I??

Yeah it's a bit much ... but it's a thing. If you have dealt with a dog with "serious send you to the "ER," issues' ... successfully? Wither you know it or not? :)

One "trainer, looks the same as another if you know nothing??" I was there with my first Working Line GSD, knew nothing for "his issue?" I was a "Mossler, " guy and "Boxers are Mossler Dog's." To be clear and as a general rule they "tend to like people?" My first WL GSD, not so much??

I am not faulting the OP, for their choice of trainers? They did what made sense to them at the time? And they still have there (dog) in there home! So that is a "Win!" But ... in the beginning if, you know nothing? And you have a dog with "issues?" And you know next to nothing about training a dog with "issues??" And you do look for help? Then you "Assume" that Positive Only, IE "Cookies and Treats," Trainers, must be the way to go?? Cuz you know, that is what, "Everybody does?"

Boxer's are "Working Dog's" and "sigh," yes, even the "American Line Dog's?" Now what "Work," they can actually do?? Well that is subject for debate? But there job number (when they were (changed) after WWII for Americans, was to be the "Perfect Family Dog," for "American's." And they excel at that!

Boxer's tend to like "people." You need not do much, they just do. And of the top three ... of "Workingline Dog's," thr "Boxer," is the least likely to get one sued! Top three of the "Best of the Best," for Working Dog's is the "Malinois" the "Best of the Best," hands, down, no debate! Dog two is the WL GSD, and dog number three is the "Boxer."

And out of those three for the Average owner, looking for a "Working Line Dog? The "Boxer," is the least likely to get there owner sued, for biting a stranger!

The WL GSD ... I know, and "I don't recommend them to anyone I know, period end of story." They are great freaking dog's, no doubt but too much dog for most people! The Mal ... LOL, well yeah that would be a hard "NO," from me also. I never had one, I had never met one ... except now I have! He is a pretty Dog _Thor, he get's along great with my "Bella." I luv when he comes to visit ... but the thing is ... he is not my Dog! We have a six between a fence and that fence means nothing to "Thor!"

They are struggling to keep their dog, yard in their yard! We have not seen him visit for a few weeks now? :( So they have done something?) But if they want to let him go? I'd luv to have him?

And dog number three, the "Boxer!" LOL, well in the "Working Dog," class, that is the only dog I would recommend to "some people," that said I want a "Working Dog?"

They are "different," not likely to get you sued for biting the "crap out of someone," but if you don't understand them ... they are the most likely to drive an owner "Nut's!"

A lot of "Drive and Energy," and uh well nuttiness. "The Clown Prince of the Dog World," as it were! :)

Oh and the GSD yeah, when I saw our president was bring two GSD's into the White House??? I said to my wife ... that is not good! And yep sure enough the first dog went back to Delaware (for biting people)! And the second dog at last count has bitten elven people??

An American Line Boxer, would have been a much better/safer choice for visitors ie "New People??" All the time?? Life does not get better then this! :)

Just saying.

#13 ·
Hello, we adopted a 1yo fixed male boxer pup. He’s been at the house for nearly 2 weeks now. He’s very vocal, and it doesn’t seem that he received any training in his previous living situation for managing his excitement and emotions. He gets along well with dogs, we also have a 5yo female boxer.....
Hello Milbybuffalo, 2 things I would do.
1) make sure the rescue pup has a short leash on any time he's out. That way you have the ability to control him if he gets to elevated.
2) use a water bottle when he gets to excited with the nipping.
*example: the rescue pup is over stimulated and started nipping at your hands,clothes, etc... Say "no" and squirt the pup in the head/neck area. Don't do just one squirt, make sure it's 3, 4 good water squirts. He's most likely going to look at you like "what the hell". Count to 5 in your head. If he's just looking are you, tell him "good" and give him a reward.
If he tries to continue to nibble/bite/jump on you, repeat the "no" squirt, squirt, squirt.

Hope it helps.

#15 ·
Aggressive play behavior in a 1-year-old Boxer rescue dog can be challenging. Consult a professional dog trainer or behaviorist to address and modify this behavior through proper training and socialization.
Yeah well, we just had a member say they hired a "Professional," and spent month's of time and thousands, of dollars. And there dog, was no better!

Advise like that would have had my WL GSD, PTS after spending thousands of dollars, wasting time and most likely getting someone bit? With "there cookie crap?"

So hire who, and how do do you find them? No one ever asks that question?