Without a doubt, one of the most notorious features of the IT industry is the constant litigation. Who is suing who now becomes difficult to keep track of. 1997 was no exception, one of the biggest suits and settlements that year involved industry heavyweight Intel and their rival in semiconductor manufacturing, Digital Equipment. The lawsuit centered around Digitals claim that Intel had violated 10 of Digital’s patents in creation of new products. The two companies had a long history of working cooperatively, including the fact that Digital purchased a lot of processors from Intel that they used in their products. Digital was in the process of developing their Alpha series chips that would compete with Intel in the Unix and Windows NT markets. In the end, the lawsuit ended with Intel purchasing 3 manufacturing plants from Digital and manufacturing Digital designed chips including the Alpha series and the new StrongArm processors used in lower power and mobile applications. The total payment that Digital would receive over time would approach 1.5 Billion dollars. In todays tech environment that dollar figure almost seems laughable. On the day of the announcement, Intel stock was the second most active and lost $4.38 in value.

What else happened this day:

1982 IBM ROM is capable of EGA graphics - 16 glorious colors

1988 “ET” released to home video (14 million presold)

It appears that October 27 is also a popular day to blow things up.

1961 USSR performs nuclear test at Novaya Zemlya & Sary Shagan USSR

1962 US performs atmospheric nuclear test at Johnston Island

1962 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site

1966 China performs nuclear test at Lop Nor, PRC

1966 USSR performs nuclear test at Novaya Zemlya USSR

1984 France performs nuclear test at Mururoa atoll

1984 USSR performs nuclear test at Eastern Kazakh/Semipalitinsk USSR

Blatant Theft from Uncle John’s Bathroom reader"

The end of tech. All products eventually reach end of life. Here we look at the swan song of many tech items. The last ofs include:
The last VHS tape - A History of Violence
The last Laser Disc - End of Days
The last HD DVD - Death Proof
The last major 8-Track - Fleetwood Mac’s Greatest Hits
The last Atari 2600 game - Secret Quest
The last NES game - Wario’s Woods
The last SNES game - Frogger

Births on this Day:

1858 - Theodore Roosevelt, 26th US President
1874 - Owen D. Young, started the RCA corporation
1914 - Dylan Thomas, author
1939 - John Cleese
The Friday dose of CanCon:

During High School and University, Red Rider was one of my goto bands. Capable both of rocking songs and teary ballads, I present 2 songs today, one of each.

Quote of the Day:

Privacy is one of the biggest problems in this new electronic age. - Andy Grove

Cartoon of the Day:

Inspirobot:

Miss yesterday’s Spark - No blanks here from @jimender2 ​. Shoot on over and see how the West was won. Spark! Pro series - 26th October 2023

98 Spice ups

Inspirobot is pretty awesome today. I think you’ve been saving that one!

8 Spice ups

Morbidly helpful might become my new mantra for life in IT :slight_smile:

12 Spice ups

But I don’t want to be morbidly helpful on a Friday! lol

8 Spice ups

The last Laser Disc - End of Days
The last HD DVD - Death Proof

Why I find those two very ironic, especially for HD DVD?

Inspirobot: Well, that’s very nice to hear today, and not offensive at all.

1 Spice up

I saw Satan when I raised my garage door Wednesday morning, he was looking at me!

Idk where this cat came from but now I can say I chased off Satan before work Wednesday!

7 Spice ups

I look morbid every day. lol

2 Spice ups

“Morbidly Helpful?” Actually, that might be more accurate than I would like to admit.

3 Spice ups

That is a lot of blowing up!

2 Spice ups

Garage?! You were lucky!

3 Spice ups

Uncle John’s bathroom reader also knew about the 1984 nuclear tests? Wonder what was some last of tech at those two sites?

3 Spice ups

Privacy is one of the biggest problems in this new electronic age. - Andy Grove

Without context, this could be interpreted in very different ways.

[Protecting individual] privacy is one of the biggest problems in this new electronic age. This is true.

[For those with malicious intent and the power to do something about it, personal] privacy is one of the biggest problems in this new electronic age. Sadly, this is true, too.

2 Spice ups

Red Rider - That brings back memories. I saw them open for REO Speedwagon a million years ago.

3 Spice ups

I hope everyone has a great Friday! First full day of my hosting staycation - my brother flies in tomorrow for his first visit to San Diego and Tijuana!

So I definitely don’t look sad today!

6 Spice ups

2004: The Boston Red Sox ended the “Curse of the Bambino”—an alleged hex on the team that resulted from its 1920 sale of Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees—by defeating the St. Louis Cardinals to win the World Series title, the team’s first in 86 years.

I’ll be morbid, and you can have a nuclear day.

2 Spice ups

Lolz, I saw Red Rider open for the Beach Boys in the 80’s. Yeah, don’t think too hard about that, it was weird even for the 80s.

4 Spice ups

Friday Morning… I made it through another week. Weeeee Haaaaaawwwwww.

Not quite snowed in, but my Igloo is happy. :wink:

@gurugabe1 @jameswalker20 @panda-marie @ismoonastar

5 Spice ups

Morbidly helpful definitely describes anyone’s role in IT, although maybe that’s because we’ll helpfully connect a 2x4 to some users’ noggins if they need it. At least, we would if that wasn’t against the law.

4 Spice ups

Red Rider? I see that and raise you:

4 Spice ups

CotD is pretty much correct except that Mr Whiskers is still Satan in the daylight. He’s just cuter and less obvious because he knows you can see him.

Which reminds me a of a joke… I was sitting in church last Sunday when poof! Satan appeared next to the priest. Everyone ran screaming from the church except me and the priest. Satan looked at the priest and said, “I know why you’re still here,” then turned towards me as he continued “but why are you still here?” “Huh!?!” I said. “Don’t you remember me? I married your sister!”

6 Spice ups